Saturday, January 19, 2019

EXCERPTS PART 1


On the morning of the interview with the Bank of Ghana, we were given forms to complete, a detail disclosure. The forms were collected with our original certificates. So I gave out my certificates with my three affidavits. As fate would have it, I was the last to be interviewed. And I think my interview would go down the memory of the panel and in the history of the Bank - the applicant with several names. As I was led into the interview room, my affidavits were being discussed by the panel. The Chairman of the Interview Panel had a missing link. He couldn't locate one of my affidavits - the fifteen year old metamorphosis - Azameti to Maundy, was missing from his bundles.

They questioned me about the changes. I gave an extensive explanation on what led to the changes and showed them some newspaper publications to back my case. But that didn't seem to do my bidding. Many questions were thrown at me about the change in the UK. The Chairman recommended it would be more appropriate for me to go back to Maxwell Maundy, rather than very old Eli Azameti, which does not bear on any of my university certificates. My interview began. My first question was to explain time value of money. As more finance questions were being thrown at me, I drew the attention of the panel that my major area was Corporate Governance and Accountability.

They looked at my application again, and thank goodness, that was it - Corporate Governance did my bidding, and I nailed it. The interview went superb. I couldn't be happier. I won the day! There was an inner satisfaction within me. I hadn't felt this good in a long time. When the questions ceased coming, the Chairman asked: "Don't you have any more questions for him?" A lady panellist replied: "He's an expert, a UK expert." My interview ended and I was in high spirits. All panellists were looking at me with admiration. Then the Chairman said: "Before we offer you the job, we'll seek clarification from the British Police."

With that, I knew fate had dealt me another blow. Indeed, the American lady's post had come to haunt me: "The Beasts of England have ruined your life. Even with your master’s degree, you'll struggle to get a job with multinational companies because of your criminal conviction." A week later, in a desperate attempt to salvage my dream job, I wrote an extensive three page letter to the Chairman of the Interview Panel. But I guess the harm was already done. Her Majesty's Beasts of England had put me down, really down; and it would take long for me to get back up. So I became a taxi driver instead... Whilst my hard earned British certificate gathers dust ever after… Dear Diary; here ends my story!

4 comments: